Requirements for the Associate of Arts Degree
The associate of arts degree contains a balanced program of liberal arts education without orientation to a particular major. Requirements for the degree include 61 semester credit hours and the designated competencies as listed below. These requirements can usually be met in two years of full-time study. General Education Entry/Transfer levels apply to students seeking an associate of arts degree.
General Education Courses: 35-36 credits
Introduction to Wellbeing (GES140)
Introduction to the Bible (BIB101)
Artistic Experience (A)
Mathematics course (M)
Laboratory Science course (D)
World Cultures course (U)
Leasure and Lifetime Sports course (Q)
Arts, Humanities, and Science: 5 credits
Choose courses from: humanities, social science, communication studies, natural sciences, or mathematics
Electives: 29 credits as needed to complete the required 61 credits for the Associate of Arts degree.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
- At least 28 of the last 35 credits must be taken at Bethel.
- All General Education required courses and experiences listed on the General Education Entry/Transfer Level chart on the following pages that are indicated by a “Yes” for the entry level.
- One interim course.
- A minimum of 3 semester credit hours in General Education Bible and theology courses.
- GES130 Christianity and Western Culture or GES145 through GES244 in the Humanities Program (must be taken at Bethel; cannot be brought in through any other programs).
- Participation in commencement ceremonies is expected.
- Participation in commencement ceremonies is permitted for students who have not completed all graduation requirements provided that they have no more than seven (7) credits by the end of the fall term of the next academic year. For December commencement, courses must be completed by the end of the spring term of the same academic year. Policies regarding residency requirements apply.
- All 100- and 200-level General Education required courses and experiences listed on the General Education Entry/Transfer Level chart that are indicated by a "Yes" for their entry level.
- A minimum of 5 credits in humanities, social science, communication studies, natural sciences, or mathematics.
- Elective credits as needed to complete the required 61 credits for the Associate of Arts degree.