The Associate of Arts degree contains a balanced program of liberal arts education without orientation to a particular major. Requirements for the degree (60 semester credit hours in total) include 45 semester credits of general education courses and 15 semester credits of elective courses. Each goal area needs to be fulfilled with the number of courses listed below. The listed courses are ones that students can take at Bethel; other lower-level course options for each goal area are also available. Students transferring in 45 credits or fewer will be required to take SOCS 110. These requirements can usually be met in two years of full-time study, and they meet the requirements of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
Goal Area 1: Communication
3 courses including an Academic Research Writing course:
- Academic Research Writing
- Basic Communication Skills
- Successful Writing
Goal Area 2: Critical Thinking
- Personal Mission and Leadership Development
- Succeeding in College (SOCS 110 Required for those with 45 credits or less)
Goal Area 3: Natural Sciences
- Health and Wellness
- Studies in Our Surrounding World
- Technology in Our World
Goal Area 4: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning
Goal Area 5: History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Global Cultures and the American Mosaic
- U.S. History in Dialogue with the Present
- Work and Family Dynamics
Goal Area 6: The Humanities and Fine Arts
- Responding to the Arts
- Spiritual Quest
- The Bible in Real Life
The A.A. degree program will consider applicants who:
- Meet the general requirements for admission to the College of Adult & Professional Studies.
- Have an evaluation completed to determine how outstanding course requirements or needed credits, if any, will be fulfilled.
Students who have not achieved the minimum GPA, grade standards, or other assessment criteria may still apply to be considered for provisional acceptance. See Admission Categories.