General Requirements for an Associate of Arts Degree
The associate of arts degree contains a balanced program of liberal arts education without orientation to a particular major or minor. Requirements for the degree include 61 semester credit hours and the designated competencies as listed below. These requirements can usually be met in two years of full-time study. General Education Entry/Transfer levels apply to students seeking an associate of arts degree.
General Education Courses: 29-31 credits
Introduction to Wellbeing (GES 140)
Introduction to the Bible (BIB 101)
Artistic Experience (A)
Mathematics course (M)
Laboratory Science course (D)
World Cultures course (U)
(Students entering Bethel with credits, may be exempted from some of the General Education requirements based on their General Education Entry Standing. See the Transfer of Credits section of this catalog.)
Arts, Humanities, and Science: 5 credits
Choose courses from: humanities, social science, communication studies, natural sciences, or mathematics
Electives: 25-27 credits as needed to complete the required 61 credits for the Associate of Arts degree.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
- At least 28 of the last 35 credits must be taken at Bethel.
- One january session course.
- Taken at Bethel:
- Upon completion of program, participation in commencement ceremonies is expected.
- Participation in commencement ceremonies is permitted for students who have not completed all graduation requirements provided that they have no more than seven (7) credits by the end of the fall term of the next academic year. For December commencement, courses must be completed by the end of the spring term of the same academic year. Policies regarding residency for particular courses apply.