Entry Standing Level
The Entry Standing:
- Determines which General Education requirements a student must fulfill and the number of interims that must be completed.
- Is assigned when students take their first Bethel class after their date of high school graduation.
- Is based on semester credit hours from another institution that have been completed prior to enrolling at Bethel and accepted for transfer, as well as any coursework taken for credit through a Bethel-sponsored high school and/or early college program.
- Will not be changed from the original level assigned unless a student leaves Bethel and returns after a period of two or more years, during which time they earned credits at another college or university and did not complete any courses at Bethel.
In 2017, Bethel updated the General Education program to require all students take GES 140 Introduction to Wellbeing and GES 160 Inquiry Seminar. As such all incoming Freshmen and transfer students are required, based on their Entry Standing Level, to successfully complete these two courses to earn their degree.
Access Bethel's General Education Curriculum Policies webpage for further listings of General Education Policies and Transfer Entry Standing Charts.
Students who already have a Bethel Bachelor’s degree and who are completing a second degree or major are considered to have met all General Education requirements. They need only meet the requirements for the major, including the major residency requirement.
- Entries of 'Yes' mean students must take the course to complete their chosen degree
- Entries of 'No' mean students are exempt from taking the course to complete their chosen degree
- Students can meet the GES 125, GES 130, GES 160, THE 201, and L course requirement through the Humanities program, (courses: GES 145, GES 147, GES 244, and GES 246)
Entry Standing Charts for students who entered prior to Fall 2019 can be found on the General Education Curriculum Policies webpage
|General Education Requirements by Entry Standing 2022-2023||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Completed MNTC||Completed A.A., B.A., or B.S.|
|GES 125 Introduction to the Creative Arts||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Artistic Experience (A)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|GES 160 Inquiry Seminar**||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|GES 140 Introduction to Wellbeing*||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Leisure and Lifetime Sports (Q)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|BIBLICAL FOUNDATIONS||Choose 2: One must be at Bethel||Choose 2: One must be at Bethel||Choose 1: Must be at Bethel||Choose 1: Must be at Bethel|
|BIB 101 Introduction to the Bible||Yes|
|THE 201 Christian Theology||Yes|
|Interpreting Biblical Themes (J)||Yes|
|MATH, SCIENCE, AND, TECHNOLOGY|
|Laboratory Science (D)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Science, Technology, and Society (K)||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|GES 130 Christianity and Western Culture*||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Contemporary Western Life and Thought (L)||Yes||Yes||Choose L or G||No||No|
|Comparative Systems (G)||Yes||Yes||Choose L or G||No||Choose 1: G, S, U or Z|
|Second Language (S)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Choose 1: G, S, U, or Z|
|World Cultures (U)||Yes||Yes||No||No||Choose 1: G, S, U, or Z|
|Cross-cultural Experience (Z)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Choose 1: G, S, U, Z|
|Contemporary Christian Issues (P)*||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Interims that must be completed at Bethel||3||3||2||1||0|
* Must be taken at Bethel
** GES 160 Inquiry Seminar includes both speaking and writing components. GES 160 can be fulfilled by transferring in courses that fulfill the writing component (GES161 Inquiry: Writing) and the speaking component (GES162 Inquiry: Speaking). Students may also transfer a course that meets the writing component (GES161 Inquiry: Writing) and take one of the following Speaking courses: COM 110 Basic Communication, COM 324 Professional and Technical Communication, COM 386 Advanced Public Speaking, or COM 387 Speaking in Ministry Contexts at Bethel.