The required program for the M.S. in Nurse-Midwifery comprises a 57 semester credit sequence of courses. Students who do not already hold a bachelor’s degree in nursing are required to complete additional undergraduate course prerequisites (detailed in the College of Adult & Professional Studies catalog) prior to beginning the M.S. in Nurse-Midwifery program.
|NURS 602||Midwifery Perspectives 1||3|
|NURS 606||Advanced Health Assessment for Advanced Practice Nurses 1||4|
|NURS 611||Advanced Pharmacology for Advanced Practice Nurses 1||3|
|NURS 614||Nurse-Midwifery I: Healthcare for Women and Primary Care 1||4|
|NURS 615||Global Perspectives of Health 1||3|
|NURS 616||Nurse-Midwifery II: Antepartal Care 1||3|
|NURS 617||Nurse-Midwifery III: Intrapartum and Postpartum Care 1||4|
|NURS 618||Nurse-Midwifery IV: Newborn Care 1||2|
|NURS 619||Fetal Evaluation 1||1|
|NURS 620||Reproductive Physiology for Advanced Practice Nurses 1||3|
|NURS 626||Evidence Translation for Practice 1||3|
|NURS 673||Advanced Pathophysiology 1||3|
|NURS 714||Nurse-Midwifery I: Practicum 1||2|
|NURS 716||Nurse-Midwifery II: Practicum 1||2|
|NURS 717||Nurse-Midwifery III: Practicum 1||3|
|NURS 718||Nurse-Midwifery IV: Practicum 1||1|
|NURS 753||Professional Issues for Nurse-Midwives 1||4|
|NURS 754||Clinical Integration for Nurse-Midwives 1||7|
|NURS 793||Nurse-Midwifery Master's Project 1||2|
Course must be taken for credit at Bethel.
The M.S. degree program in Nurse-Midwifery will consider applicants who:
- Meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School.
- Submit an official transcript (U.S. schools) or NACES or AICE evaluation (international schools) showing an earned baccalaureate degree and official transcripts or NACES or AICE evaluations from all graduate schools attended. Applicants must also submit an official transcript or NACES or AICE evaluation from any school that shows completion of any nursing program coursework or required program prerequisites.
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a regionally accredited (or internationally recognized as equivalent) institution. Registered nurses with non-nursing baccalaureate or higher degrees who apply will be considered on an individual basis, and additional prerequisite course requirements apply as well as an earlier application deadline.
- Have earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale on the highest degree completed.
- Have successfully completed a college level prerequisite course in statistics. Inferential statistics content is recommended. The course must have earned at least two semester credits from a regionally accredited (or internationally recognized as equivalent) institution and may have been taken at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- TOEFL examination score report is required of all international applicants and all applicants whose primary language is not English. A minimum score of 84 on the internet-based test or 26 on the speaking test is required.
- Submit one professional and one supervisor Admission Reference.
- Applicants with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or lower must submit a Miller Analogies Test score report with a minimum score of 400 (taken within the last three years) or a GRE score report (taken within the last three years); GRE score benchmarks are 149, 149, and 3.6.
- Submit a written Statement of Purpose.
- Provide proof of health insurance.
- Submit a copy of current registered nurse license. Must be licensed in the state in which practicum experiences will occur.
- Submit a resume that includes prior education and work experience. Required- one year clinical experience; Labor and Delivery or Women’s Health suggested.
- Interview with program faculty or enrollment counselor.
- After admission into the program students will be required to submit:
- Completed Nursing Student Immunization Record.
- Documentation of a 2-step Mantoux and a current negative Mantoux/chest X-ray.
- Copy of current CPR certification.
Students who have not achieved the minimum GPA, grade standards, or other assessment criteria may still apply to be considered for provisional acceptance. See Admission Categories.