Bethel provides an opportunity for students who complete a special education license to add a general education teaching license. Students who complete their edTPA during their special education student teaching will not be required to also complete an edTPA in order to earn a general education add-on teaching license. The entire course sequence for the special education license must be completed for eligibility for an add-on teaching license, or students must hold a current special education teaching license. Students must earn a passing score on all required Minnesota Teaching Licensure Examinations (MTLE) or equivalent examinations. Students must complete all content coursework, as determined through an evaluation of transcripts, prior to student teaching.
To be recommended for a license students must:
- Maintain academic success, which is defined as completion of each teacher licensure and each content area course with a passing grade: S, C, or higher.
- Maintain character, ethics, and relational skills consistent with the role and responsibility of the professional educator. Any student failing to meet this expectation may be asked to discuss with the program director other viable options for professional development.
- License standards are subject to change at any time by the Professional Education Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB).
- Candidates for licensure must meet the PELSB license standards in place at the time of program completion.
If PELSB changes any content standards or education standards after a student is admitted into a Bethel education program, the student is responsible to find, complete, and pay for appropriate classes to meet the standard(s) either at Bethel or another college/university.
The Add-On Teaching License program will consider applicants who:
- Meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School.
- Submit an official transcript (U.S. schools) or NACES or AICE evaluation (international schools) showing an earned baccalaureate degree and official transcripts or NACES or AICE evaluations from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. Undergraduate transcript(s) may be waived if transfer credit(s) are not being used to fulfill content area requirements.
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited (or internationally recognized as equivalent) institution.
- Have earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale on the highest degree completed.
- Submit two professional Admission References.
- Submit a written Statement of Purpose.
- Submit a current resume.
- Interview with enrollment counselor or program director.
- Students applying for initial licensure (TEAG) and add-on teaching licenses (TEAQ) in Graduate School World Languages and Cultures: Spanish must demonstrate Intermediate-High oral proficiency in Spanish as defined by the American Council on the Teaching of Languages and Cultures (ACTFL). They will demonstrate oral proficiency by taking an official ACTFL OPIc test and passing with Intermediate-High level proficiency. Students are responsible for paying for the exam and the costs of sending an official copy of the exam results to Bethel University.
Accepted students will be eligible to begin the program once they have three or fewer (four or fewer for business education) content area requirements remaining from the State of Minnesota Content Standards.
Add-On Teaching License
The required curriculum for a teaching license as an addition to a qualifying Minnesota special education teaching licenses comprises a 10 semester credit sequence of courses.
|EDUC 665||Teaching Content Area Literacy *||3|
|EDUC 779||Student Teaching Placement II||3|
|Select one of the following:||4|
|Social Studies 5-12 Teaching Methods *|
|Mathematics 5-12 Teaching Methods *|
|Science 5-12 Teaching Methods *|
|Visual Arts K-12 Teaching Methods *|
|World Languages and Cultures K-12 Teaching Methods *|
|ESL K-12 Teaching Methods *|
|Communication Arts and Literature 5-12 Teaching Methods *|
|Business 5-12 Teaching Methods *|
Course must be taken for credit at Bethel.
Adult Professional Studies
College of Arts Sciences
- B.A. in Communication Arts and Literature Education 5-12 (English Education)
- B.A. in K-6 Elementary Education
- B.A. in Mathematics with Education 5-12 Licensure
- B.A. in Social Studies Education 5-12
- B.A. in Spanish Education K-12 (Licensure in World Languages: Spanish)
- B.A. in Special Education K-12 Academic Behavioral Strategist
- B.A. in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) non-licensure
- B.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) K-12
- B.Mus.Ed. in Music Education
- Minor in Special Education
- Minor in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Academic Behavioral Strategist K-12 (ABS) License
- Autism Spectrum Disorders B-21 (ASD) License
- Certificate in International Baccalaureate Education
- Developmental Disabilities K-12 License
- Director of Special Education License
- Ed.D. Leadership in Higher Education
- Ed.D. Leadership in K-12 Administration
- Emotional/Behavioral Disorders K-12 (EBD) License
- K-12 Principal License
- M.A. in Education K-12
- M.A. in Special Education
- M.A. in Teaching
- Superintendent License
- Teacher Coordinator of Work-Based Learning License
- Teaching License