Residential International Students

F-1 International Students are required to carry a full-load of courses each semester, with at least two courses (six semester credits) at Bethel Seminary, in order to maintain their legal status to remain in the United States. Students who require exceptions to the full-load of studies are required to report to the international student advisor on their campus.  F-1 International Students are allowed to work in the U.S. with authorization.  Please refer to the Employment Section below for details.

Exceptions to the Full-Course-Of-Study Requirement

The exceptions to the "full course of study" requirement are limited, but very important. In the situations described below, F-1 students are considered to be maintaining status even if they are not registered for a full course of study, and they continue to be eligible for F-1 benefits if they are otherwise eligible. A student who drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of the Designated School Official (DSO) will be considered out of status. Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) limits the reasons for which an Reduce Course Load can be granted to 7 choices. The DSO must select one of these choices to process the Reduced Course Load approval.

  1. Illness or Medical Condition
  2. Initial Difficulty with English Language
  3. Initial Difficulty with Reading Requirements
  4. Unfamiliarity with American Teaching Methods
  5. Improper Course Level Placement
  6. To Complete Course of Study in Current Term
  7. Part Time Border Commuter Student

Distance Education Limits

According to the Federal Regulations, “F-1 students enrolled in classes for credit or classroom hours, no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits per session, term, semester, trimester, or quarter may be counted toward the full course of study requirement if the class is taken online or through distance education and does not require the student’s physical attendance for classes, examination, or other purposes integral to completion of the class. An online or distance education course is a course that is offered principally through the use of television, audio, or computer transmission, including open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, satellite, audio conferencing, or computer conferencing. If the F-1 student’s course of study is in a language study program, no online or distance education classes may be considered to count toward a student’s full course of study requirement”.


On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is the most accessible kind of employment for F-1 students. Requirements are listed below:

  • Maintain valid F-1 status.
  • Notify the International Student Adviser prior to accepting any employment.
  • You can only work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session; full time during official school breaks and vacation periods if you intend to register for the next academic semester.

Off-Campus Employment

There are 3 categories of off-campus employment opportunities available to F-1 students (Severe Economic Hardship, Curricular Practical Training, and Optional Practical Training).  All three of these categories are available to Bethel Seminary F-1 students.

Severe Economic Hardship
Any F-1 student suffering severe economic hardship as defined by USCIS is eligible to work off campus. Requirements are listed below:
  • Active F-1 status for at least one academic year (9 months).
  • In good academic standing.
  • Provide evidence of economic hardship based on unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.
  • Show you have made a good-faith effort to find on-campus employment and that on-campus employment is not available or sufficient.
  • Work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session; full time during school breaks and holidays.
  • The Employment Authorization Document is valid for one year per application.
There are a number of circumstances that may qualify as severe economic hardship, including:
  • Substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate.
  • Excessive increases in tuition and/or living costs.
  • Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support.
  • Medical bills or other substantial and unexpected expenses.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practice Training (CPT) is employment that's an integral part of your curriculum or academic program.  This includes work study, internships, cooperative education, or other work-based learning programs.  And yes, you can get paid for CPT employment.

Requirements and guidelines:

  • You must have been enrolled in school full time for at least one year on valid F-1 status (except for graduate programs that require immediate CPT).
  • The CPT employment must be an integral part of your degree program or a requirement for a course for which you receive academic credit.
  • You must have received a job offer that qualifies before you submit your CPT authorization request.
  • Your job offer must be in your major or field of study.
  • You must submit the Curriculum Practical Training form (pdf) to the department chair to collect his/her signature on the form.
  • Your department chair must write a recommendation letter to Pang Moua, Diversity and Inclusion Associate in the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
  • You must receive prior authorization from Bethel’s International Student Programs and Service Office and notification to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Once you receive CPT authorization, you can only work for the approved employer within the dates specified (unlike OPT where you can work anywhere in the U.S.). Your CPT authorization will also specify whether you are approved for part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week) employment. While in school, you can only be approved for part-time CPT if you are a college student.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional practical training (OPT) is employment that’s related to your degree or major. You can qualify for OPT both during and after completion of your degree. Requirements are listed below:
  • Your employment must be “directly related” to your program of study
  • You must enroll and maintain lawful F-1 status at least for one academic year
  • Apply for OPT three months before you complete all degree work.
  • If you have engaged in 12 months or more of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT), you are not eligible for OPT.
  • The standard OPT is valid for 12 months full-time employment
  • You cannot begin employment until you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS and have been enrolled for at least a year. 

Social Security Card

If you have been authorized to work either on-campus or off-campus, you may apply for a Social Security Card. The following documents are required to apply for a Social Security Card.
  • Application form
  • Employer’s letter
  • International Student Advisor’s letter
  • SEVIS I-20
  • Passport 

Health Insurance

Bethel international students and their dependents are required to have health insurance. All students and their dependents must have:
  • Medical coverage of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

This may cost up to $850 per year for an individual student. For health insurance information students may contact:

Rose Wilson

English as a Second Language

Bethel Seminary does not provide translators or English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.  All courses and instruction at Bethel Seminary will occur in the English language.   Therefore, it is expected that each student will possess the ability to write and speak English clearly and correctly.  For further information regarding the level of English proficiency required of students, please see the admission requirements for International Students in this catalog.     

Student Visas

Bethel Seminary does not provide any visa or immigration services to international students.  It is the responsibility of the student to obtain their own student visa at their own expense.  If necessary, the Seminary will vouch for an international student's status to the appropriate authorities at no fee to the student.


Students with any concerns regarding Form I-20, maintenance of status, medical insurance, Social Security card, on-campus and off-campus employment, curricular practical training, optional practical training, program extension, bank account, driver license, change of level/degree, transfer, reinstatement, change of status, travel, or add dependent(s) should contact the International Student Adviser on campus.
  • St. Paul: Pang Moua at 651.638.6512 or
  • San Diego: Theola Campbell,

Connect with Bethel